I need to change from BT - Old Copper line but who do I go to?

Good afternoon.

We live at 'Hill Top' and I have stayed with BT Internet as when Wessex introduced themselves to this area, and where vouchers that made cost attractive to connect, I could not take up the offer for personal reasons.

Now I am comparing companies BUT unfortunately I need to keep a landline as my husband cannot cope with a mobile e.g if the internet service was to go down a landline that connects to a hub would not work and a mobile becomes the only option.  He does not use the internet but I do and use other entertainment options e.g. BBC Iplayer, Netflix, etc.  

So any thoughts on a provider that you think would suit my needs based on what you have experience of -

Companies I have looked at -

1. Existing BT which of course is based on the old copper line. Expensive for what it can give me.

2. Wessex Internet 

3. Starlink

To change seems so expensive for what I need and bearing in mind I will for the time being need to keep a BT Landline - but for how long - because they are bringing in BT Digital Voice.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you

Views: 56

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Gilly, you have a dilemma. I have used Wessex since just before COVID and the only time we've had no phone was when the electricity was switched off. I'm guessing Dave doesn't make many calls out and you could set up easy codes for him to call out on mobile. 

I posted your request on the village Facebook group to see if you could get some advice that way. Here are the two responses so far.

Geoff

Thank you all for your support and thoughts.  Firstly - I don't use Facebook not because I wouldn't know how to, but I prefer not to use it so I am grateful to you Geoff for asking on my behalf.

I feel the time has come for me to make a change and I know that the old landline is being phased out.  But..... I guess I am going to have to face the fact -

(a) The cost to get Wessex to connect me, if possible, and I have discussed this with them this week and I have been told it will be minimum £249 plus???  I have asked if they could give me a quote, that is not binding to a contract, for me to consider.

(b) I still have some time with my BT contract so not sure how much that would cost me to break it. It is only because I have had so many 'glitches' lately with speed that I feel things are 'happening' and it has made me think seriously about it. 

(c) I may need to weigh up if I stay put with BT if it will cost a lot of money to break contract and I guess to bear in mind that costs could increase for Wessex to connect us when my contract ends.  (Been with BT ever since the year dot - so no experience in cost implications in breaking a contract before it is due to be renewed.) 

As they say 'Its good to talk'.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by geoff parcell.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service